Thursday, June 18, 2009

Best Job Ever!!

I know. I know. You've heard it a million time! I have the best job ever!

Right now, we are having summer camp. Last year we had 9 kids everyday. This year... it is 19 kids!

Today we went to Wheeler Farm. We have these "jade" t-shirts that have a puzzle piece on it. Our guide asked me "What is that puzzle for?" So I told him our camp is for kids with high-functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome.

He says "I have autism, too!"

It was so great! He was a fantastic guide and he totally just "rolled" with our kids. He didn't get frustrated with the tangents, the weird noises, the growling, the wacking, or anything! He would even talk about the stuff the kids wanted to for a minute or two, then get back to what he was saying.

His story was so interesting. He told me that in the 80's, doctors told his parents it was their fault for his problems. In high school he got diagnosed with autism in high school.

Logan and I told him he should come visit our school. He said he would be honored. I want all our kids to meet this guy. He was great!

2 comments:

thepworth said...

that's a cool story! i'm happy to learn that he has a job and seems to function really well as an adult. makes me feel more hopeful for the kids you work with.

Jess said...

He must be the same guide that Connor's class had when the 4th graders went to wheeler farm. Lynn was telling me about him. cool stuff!