Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sign Language at the Hospital

I know American Sign Language (ASL). I took classes all through high school and into college. I was in the Interpreting Program as SLCC and decided I didn't enjoy interpreting like I thought I would. So, I quit the program to finish my generals and I have found myself in Special Ed (which I absolutely LOVE).

I volunteer at Primary Children's Medical Center every Wednesday night. It is great! I had open-heart surgery there 18 years ago, and I remember volunteers coming to do art projects and stuff with me while I was there. I decided I wanted to give back and help kids that are there.

Last night, a little boy came into the playroom with his mom. He was on an IV pole and just kind of looking around. I asked him if he wanted to make some snow with us (that was the art project we were doing in the playroom last night - it was really fun to play with). He didn't say anything, so I asked him again louder. His mom was on her cell phone, but she finally realized what was goin on. She told me he is deaf. "Does he know sign language?" I asked. He did! So, I got to sign with this kid! I haven't used my sign language for a long time, and I was so excited! The kid didn't seem at all surprised someone he didn't know was signing to him, but he mom seemed very grateful.

I love how stuff just works itself out!

0 comments: